The Atlantic States Marine
Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) has drafted an addendum which
gives options for increasing the coastal commerical quota
for striped bass by as much as 50%. This stunning turn
of events has left conservationalists shocked at the ASMFC's
apparent disregard for strong evidence pointing to numerous
problems with the atlantic striped bass population. Unlike
in the 1970s when rampant over fishing was the primary
cause of the stock's crash, the current picture painted
by scientists and officers is all the more bleak because
of the wide variety of factors that are negatively impacting
The Montauk Surfcasters Association is a
non-profit organization that:
The New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing and MSA
went to the hearing on 7/21, spoke and turned in a written
comment which may be viewed at nycrf.org.
We strongly urger others to do the same.
You may get a copy of the addendum by contacting Nichola
Meserve by phone at (202) 289-6400 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Preserves and protects the privilege to fish on Long
• Represents MSA on the Fishing Advisory Board, an ad
hoc committee which advises New York State on matters
affecting surf fishermen such as permit regulations, beach
access, fees, habitat & use of State Parks.
• Represents fishermen on matters affecting the use of
Suffolk County Parks
• Lobbies elected officials on regulations affecting the
fishery, habitat protection and other environmental matters.
• Monitors State and local candidates for office and informs
membership on issues affecting fishermen.
Annual activities of the M.S.A include:
• Spring and fall clean-up of the beaches surrounding
Montauk Point; participation in National Beach Clean-up
Day; spring clean-up at Cedar Beach.
• Annual poster contest in Montauk as part of Oktoberfest.
• Annual picnic at Suffolk County Park - Third House.
• Participation in fishing seminars.
• Annual membership dues are $15.00 for adults 18
years and older; $20.00 for family.
• Members in good standing receive a quarterly newsletter.
• Six meetings per year: Four meetings held on the first
Saturday in May, June, October and November in Montauk;
two meetings held in Islip on the first Saturday of January
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
1st. Vice President: Ken Dobos
2nd. Vice President: Mike Lang
Treasure: Paul Valenti
Communications Director: Jay Blatt
Recording Secretary: [Open]
Membership: Maryann Young
Website Maintenance: ShadoeFX
Web & Graphic Design
Original Website Design: Peresh Dave